Get the best information on MRI technician salary, job description, education and training. Magnetic Resonance Imaging – MRI technician operate and talk to patients about the function of the MRI Machine. MRI technologists use specialized equipment to create cross-sectional image scans of patients to help doctors diagnose and treat illness or disease. They interact directly with patients and may administer intravenous injections of contrast dyes.
Professionals involved in operating magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanners are known as MRI technicians. Radio frequencies and strong magnetic fields are used by MRI scanners in creating 3D images of the body tissues from a patient; these are used by physicians to help with diagnosis.
MRI technician salary
The average salary of a MRI technician is between $50,000 and $80,000, according to review of job offers and salaries a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Technologist earns an average wage of $22.55 per hour. The MRI technician unlike doctors and nurses has a minimum qualification requirement of an associate degree.
MRI technician job description
1. Performs MRI/CT imaging procedures on appropriate anatomical regions in accordance with accepted standards of practice and protocols of the individual site Radiologist.
2. Completes and signs Patient Screening form and explains the procedure to the patient.
3. Maintains patient care, comfort and safety during transport to and from the coach and during the exam.
4. Maintains technical competency through continued education and participation in company sponsored training programs.
5. Under guidance and approval of site Radiologist, administers contrast agents according to site-specific protocols.
6. Cooperates with facility healthcare personnel and complies with facility policies and procedures.
7. Maintains current Permits to Practice in all states in which services are performed.
8. Provide images to the facility in the desired site format.
9. Performs equipment quality checks and troubleshoots problems. Calls for service and notifies all pertinent team members.
10. May assist with the set up and tear down of equipment in accordance with SMS and/or manufacturers’ guidelines.
11. Maintains a clean environment inside and outside of the mobile coach/facility.
12. Completes necessary administrative tasks. ie: time reports, billing, QA, etc.
13. Follows quality assurance guidelines and maintains patient confidentiality.
14. Cooperates with facility healthcare professionals and complies with facility policies/procedures.
15. Complies with all safety policies and regulations.
16. Maintains current Permits to Practice in all states in which services are performed.
17. Performs additional duties as required.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Technologist Tasks
- Operate magnetic resonance imaging equipment to produce images of the body for diagnostic purposes.
- Monitor video display of area being scanned and adjust density or contrast to improve picture quality.
- Explain procedure to patient, position and immobilize patient on exam table and observe during scan under direction of physician.
- Use radiation safety measures and protection devices to comply with government regulations and to ensure safety of patients and staff.
- Review and evaluate computer generated information to determine if images are satisfactory for diagnostic purposes.
MRI technician education
Individuals aspiring to become MRI technicians can seek admission to graduate degree, diploma or programs in MRI technology. You need a high school diploma or a GED, then proceed to a college an obtain an associate degree in MRI technology