The podiatrist salary is put at $77,122 – $219,877, with a median of $119,000 at $57.37/hr according to the latest data from U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Understanding the Podiatrist Salary, Job Description, Education and Training will help develop a great career in the health sector. The podiatrist is also known as the chiropodist and they provide preventative care, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of problems affecting the feet, ankle and lower legs. Their specialist skills focus on tending infections, ailments, defects and injuries of the foot and lower leg, as well as treating foot and nail conditions related to other major health disorders.
In summary a podiatrist or chiropodist is a doctor who care for ankle and feet especially for sportsmen, soldiers and diabetic patient. Their role is to prevent, diagnose and treat injure Common ailments that podiatrists treat include heel spurs, calluses, broken bones, abscesses, corns, ingrown toenails, and foot problems associated with diabetes.d ankles and feet, they profession seem to contain two or more specialty in one.
Podiatrist Job Description
- Using x-rays and physical examinations to diagnose diseases and injuries.
- Prescribing medications to reduce pain or treat medical conditions.
- Creating treatment and care plans to help patients correct or improve problems with their legs or feet.
- Referring patients to a specialist in the event that a condition (such as diabetes or arthritis) is suspected.
- Providing treatment for high-risk patient groups such as the elderly and those with increased risk of amputation;
- Using therapeutic and surgical techniques to treat foot and lower leg issues (e.g. carrying out nail and soft tissue surgery using local anaesthesia);
- Prescribing, producing and fitting orthotics and other aids and appliances;
- Delivering foot health education;
- Perform foot and ankle surgeries, such as removing bone spurs and correcting foot and ankle deformities
- Working closely with other medical practitioners such as doctors, nurses, health visitors, physiotherapists and complementary practitioners in the provision of multidisciplinary team delivery of healthcare;
- Understanding the mechanics of the body in order to preserve, restore and develop movement;
- Working with men and women in sports to address sports-related injuries to legs and feet;
- Using a range of equipment including surgical instruments, dressings, treatment tables, orthotic (inner sole) materials, lasers, grinders, shaping equipment, x-ray and video gait-analysis equipment (which allows for analysis of patients’ walking or running problems).
Patients of the podiatrist sought them out because of the specialty and skills their work requires, the Podiatrist is a skilled physician who has trained and have the required level of experience and skills. The earn various income depending on the country of practice, location, skills, level of education and certification.
The average Podiatrist salary is $50,000 to $260,000, the top tier rakes in about $120,000 or more. On average Podiatrist earn about $50 per hour. The Podiatrist salary defer by country and state, the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are have different pay.
Podiatrist Education & Training
Like most profession in the Medical and health requires you to complete a 4 year degree course with courses in Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Taken a pre-med or science courses will help you gain admission into the Medical school, also needed is you passing the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).
You will have to proceed to earn a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree after 4 years of learning and practice. Graduates enroll for a 3 years into podiatric medical and surgical residency program to gain proficiency and mastery of the profession.
To gain mastery and attain a professional status, Podiatrist can enroll for a fellowship program. All doctor need a license to practice, podiatrist need state licenses to practice in most state of the United States. You may also gain any of the two certifications available depending on the area you want to specialize in. For podiatric surgery, the certifying agency is the American Board of Podiatric Surgery. If you want to practice primary care podiatry, then the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicine .
Podiatrist salary, job description will help you understand what a podiatrist does and how to start practising.